[Feature Request] (multiple, see text)

All about the program
pandach

04 Oct 2020, 15:48

Hi,

first of all thanks for a great piece of software. Only discovered this a few days ago but was exactly the tool I've been looking for for a while now!

I've registered both Videonizer and the thumbs maker to silver status and imported a bunch of my movies. Have a few suggestions below:
- Could the mode for "edit" and "view" modes be saved separately (e.g. one is in list form and other is thumbnails") so that when I switch back and forth it remembers
- Could you add a keyboard shortcut to show the screens vtx file (same as clicking the icon but so I can do it via keyboard)
- on the screens view (the vtx files) could we have
- option to show also path+filename, associated tags/actors/sites, and rating. I know I could embed filename in the vtx file itself but because I move movies around would prefer a dynamic option
- also while on the screens page, currently it seems that while the tagging shortcuts work the ratings ones don't, would be nice if we could assign ratings via number keys like on edit screen
- any chance you could add keyboard navigation to the screens page (by default first cell activated, then move around using arrow keys. As you can see I just prefer using keyboard whenever I can!)
- could there be an option to see also path/filename even in view mode
- On the actors or sites lists, could you display also total number of movies tagged to each item? (this is pretty firmly in nice to have category but could come in handy)

This one maybe interests only me but:
- I currently store my movies in individual folders (one movie per folder).
- Sometimes I need to move movies to a different folder (sometimes group them by actors, others by director etc.) and with Videonizer the move file function can't do it because it only moves the video file I'd need to move the directory separately as well as the other files like subtitles etc.
- My best suggested solution for this would be to add a function to export an xml file that is individual to each video and can be saved next to the video file similarly to the vtx file, and contains all the tags, actor rating etc. information. Basically the ability to export the entire database but save it down video by video, so that when one later on moves the folders around and reimports the videos all the metainfo is still preserved.

lastly, couple small bugs i noticed:
- when you assign a new tag or actor, and the current filter is set so as to exclude that tag/actor etc. then the list is immediately updated and the video is filtered out. However if you have a filter based on rating that is not so, the file stays around on the list until for instance you assign a tag, at which point the filter gets refreshed and the rated movies that should be hidden are hidden.
- when in tile view and the animation loop of the tiles is enabled when you hover mouse over a given video, currently when you move the mouse pointer around it triggers animation for multiple videos at same time (it seems it will go through the full animation loop for all the tiles before stopping). Would be less confusing visually if when the mouse pointer moves away from a given video that the corresponding animation also stops.

alright, long list I know but have noticed that you actually read user feedback and have implemented in the past a number of suggestions from the forum already, so hopefully you will have time to do some of these as well. always great to see a developer take user feedback into account. Thx for the great work so far and please continue to improve this awesome tool :-)
admin
Site Admin

05 Oct 2020, 09:20

Hi,

And thank you for your feedback.
pandach wrote:
- Could the mode for "edit" and "view" modes be saved separately (e.g. one is in list form and other is thumbnails") so that when I switch back and forth it remembers
- Could you add a keyboard shortcut to show the screens vtx file (same as clicking the icon but so I can do it via keyboard)
I can implement that.
pandach wrote:
on the screens view (the vtx files) could we have
- option to show also path+filename, associated tags/actors/sites, and rating. I know I could embed filename in the vtx file itself but because I move movies around would prefer a dynamic option
But where to place it? I can allow to view the Info Panel (the same as for Items) using a Hotkey like Tilda (~) of the Left Shift. Will it satisfy your needs?
pandach wrote:
- also while on the screens page, currently it seems that while the tagging shortcuts work the ratings ones don't, would be nice if we could assign ratings via number keys like on edit screen
I can implement that, but it could be a bit confusig. Because the same assignment for Photos sets the rating for Photos, not for Items. Need to analyze.
pandach wrote:
- any chance you could add keyboard navigation to the screens page (by default first cell activated, then move around using arrow keys. As you can see I just prefer using keyboard whenever I can!)
The keyboard navigation is already there. You can use PageUp/PageDown and Home/End buttons to navigate through the screens.
pandach wrote:
- could there be an option to see also path/filename even in view mode
- On the actors or sites lists, could you display also total number of movies tagged to each item? (this is pretty firmly in nice to have category but could come in handy)
You can hover the mouse over the tile to see the Info Panel. Do you want to be able too see all paths forl all items on the screen at once?
Need to check both.
pandach wrote:
- when you assign a new tag or actor, and the current filter is set so as to exclude that tag/actor etc. then the list is immediately updated and the video is filtered out. However if you have a filter based on rating that is not so, the file stays around on the list until for instance you assign a tag, at which point the filter gets refreshed and the rated movies that should be hidden are hidden.
Need to check.
pandach wrote:
- when in tile view and the animation loop of the tiles is enabled when you hover mouse over a given video, currently when you move the mouse pointer around it triggers animation for multiple videos at same time (it seems it will go through the full animation loop for all the tiles before stopping). Would be less confusing visually if when the mouse pointer moves away from a given video that the corresponding animation also stops.
That it not a bug, that is a feature. Videonizer allows to playback up to 3 animations at once. When you leave the Item, the animation continues for 3 seconds. But when you hover the mouse over the 4th animation, the first one stops immediately letting the 2nd, the 3rd and the 4th to run. I can add an option to let only one animation to be played at once. Or I can allow to run all of them simultaneously ;)
pandach

06 Oct 2020, 04:58

Thanks for the quick reply!
But where to place it? I can allow to view the Info Panel (the same as for Items) using a Hotkey like Tilda (~) of the Left Shift. Will it satisfy your needs?
I was think more just a thin bar at top or bottom of the screen (list all tags/actors as concatenated chain like on default list view, should not take that much space?), but Tilda would be fine if easier to implement. The request was related to the following one - if one can _change_ tags/actors/ratings on the fly then need to be able to see it as well as a matter of feedback
I can implement that, but it could be a bit confusig. Because the same assignment for Photos sets the rating for Photos, not for Items. Need to analyze
got it. I don't use the tool for photos so didn't come across the possible issue. seems mostly related to how underlying programming logic would work? from user point of view setting a rating attached to a vtx file should be unambiguously about the movie?
The keyboard navigation is already there. You can use PageUp/PageDown and Home/End buttons to navigate through the screens.
I think you may have been thinking about the case where one has multiple pages of screenshots? I was referring to navigating the individual cells on one single page. You already allow clicking on any given cell to launch the video at that point in time so the logic of separating out the image into individual cells must already be there and I thought this wouldn't be too hard to implement but may be wrong.
You can hover the mouse over the tile to see the Info Panel. Do you want to be able too see all paths forl all items on the screen at once?
not so important, just noticed that edit mode shows the file names above the main tile and view mode doesn't and for my own purposes would've been nice if I could see also in view mode but really just a nice to have
That it not a bug, that is a feature. Videonizer allows to playback up to 3 animations at once. When you leave the Item, the animation continues for 3 seconds. But when you hover the mouse over the 4th animation, the first one stops immediately letting the 2nd, the 3rd and the 4th to run. I can add an option to let only one animation to be played at once. Or I can allow to run all of them simultaneously
ah ok then! i don't even use animation just something I noticed didn't realize it was intended to be like this.

thanks and look forward to a future release when some of these get implemented!
admin
Site Admin

18 Oct 2020, 21:06

Please check Videonizer 10.0.0.0.
Several of your requests were implemented there.
pandach

31 Oct 2020, 13:47

thank you! just noticed now the new versions. the pace of improvement of this piece of software is amazing thank you so much!