"Choose shots manually"

All about the program
Petruccio

30 Oct 2014, 21:36

Hello.

"Choose shots manually".

1. This function doesn't work for videos which width is not divisible by 4.
You can try videos 854x480, 962x540 etc. You can't use that function with those videos. However, automatic function of making thumbnails works ok.
To check the problem I tried reencode the same video with the same codec, but just with the different resolutions. The file which width is divisible by 4 was able to launch "Choose manually function", the other one which width is not divisible by 4 - failed. So it is not codec problems.
Can you fix it?

2. I'm limited in making manual thumbnails with the field of 3x9 tiles.
If more - I can't see the rest of columns or rows.

Maybe it is good idea to add vertical and horizontal scroll bars for that case?

3. Sometimes when I pick manually which screenshot will be added to my screenlist it happens that I get a mess with timecodes.
When manually choosing shots I press "Auto" button, so the program picks shots automatically.
Let's say VTM auto function made three shots with timecodes 00:01:00, 00:02:00, 00:03:00.
And let's say the second shot (00:02:00) is bad, I don't like it and want to change it manually. So i pick another one. I'm searching.. searching... searching for a good one shot. Found! Chose it. But... Its time code is 00:03:30.
So now I get three shots 00:01:00, 00:03:30, 00:03:00.
But 00:03:30 should be after 00:03:00. I can change manually 00:03:30 to 00:03:00 (with Shift+click) and then choose manually 00:03:30 instead of the third shot. But it is a lot of work if you have 30 shots.

Can you do a function to Sort shots in screenlist by their timecodes?
admin
Site Admin

30 Oct 2014, 23:51

Petruccio wrote: 1. This function doesn't work for videos which width is not divisible by 4.
You can try videos 854x480, 962x540 etc. You can't use that function with those videos. However, automatic function of making thumbnails works ok.
To check the problem I tried reencode the same video with the same codec, but just with the different resolutions. The file which width is divisible by 4 was able to launch "Choose manually function", the other one which width is not divisible by 4 - failed. So it is not codec problems.
Can you fix it?
Hello.
I have just tried to choose shots manually (both interfaces) for 854x480 video resolution and did not encounter any problems.
"Choose shots manually" interfaces still use Exteme engine, so I guess the problem is in the codecs.
Are you able to process that videos using Extreme engine in automatic mode?
Petruccio wrote:2. I'm limited in making manual thumbnails with the field of 3x9 tiles.
If more - I can't see the rest of columns or rows.

Maybe it is good idea to add vertical and horizontal scroll bars for that case?
That is true for small screen resolutions. I will try not to forget to add a horizontal scroll-bar to that window in the next release of the program.
Petruccio wrote:3. Sometimes when I pick manually which screenshot will be added to my screenlist it happens that I get a mess with timecodes.
When manually choosing shots I press "Auto" button, so the program picks shots automatically.
Let's say VTM auto function made three shots with timecodes 00:01:00, 00:02:00, 00:03:00.
And let's say the second shot (00:02:00) is bad, I don't like it and want to change it manually. So i pick another one. I'm searching.. searching... searching for a good one shot. Found! Chose it. But... Its time code is 00:03:30.
So now I get three shots 00:01:00, 00:03:30, 00:03:00.
But 00:03:30 should be after 00:03:00. I can change manually 00:03:30 to 00:03:00 (with Shift+click) and then choose manually 00:03:30 instead of the third shot. But it is a lot of work if you have 30 shots.

Can you do a function to Sort shots in screenlist by their timecodes?
Currently it is worked as designed. I will add a button to sort timeline in the next release of the program.

Thank you for your post.
Petruccio

31 Oct 2014, 19:01

admin wrote: I have just tried to choose shots manually (both interfaces) for 854x480 video resolution and did not encounter any problems.
"Choose shots manually" interfaces still use Exteme engine, so I guess the problem is in the codecs.
Are you able to process that videos using Extreme engine in automatic mode?
Yes, you are right. Extreme engine switches to Crystal one while trying to do a screenlist of those videos in Automatic mode. But those videos play OK on my player using installed codecs. So anyway the problem is in the codecs?

Updated. I tried different codec packs with default settings (K-Lite and CCCP) - problem is still the same :( I tried to tweak those codec packs (use different DirectShow Filters) - still the same.
I even tried to reencode video to MP4 854x480 and to AVI 854x480 - both didn't work (means and MP4 codec are corrupt and AVI codec too?). Don't know, what is it :( If I can ask what codec pack do you use at the moment? And are you sure your video sample is 854x480 (and not 856x480)?
admin wrote:That is true for small screen resolutions. I will try not to forget to add a horizontal scroll-bar to that window in the next release of the program.
Yep. My monitor's resolution is 1360x768.
Why only horizontal scroll-bar? :( And what if I want 6x15 screenlist? Horizontal scroll-bar will solve the problem with 6 columns, but I will not see all the rows... I'll still be able to see only 9 of them...
So maybe both scroll-bars: horizontal and vertical? :)

Updated. Sorry, wasn't too correct. My monitor resolution allows not 3x9 tiles but 10x9. But anyway, problem is the same :) I think program should allow to work comfortable with any number of tiles a person wishes.
admin wrote:Currently it is worked as designed. I will add a button to sort timeline in the next release of the program.
Thank you. That's exactly what I wanted to ask (the button to sort shots by its time), just uncorrectly expressed my desire :)

And thank you for your work and attention to people's desires :)
Have a nice day.

Updated. Another problems.
4. If I manualy chose needed tiles, then Save it, and then if I decide to larger number of tiles (for example, I wish to increase from 3x6 to 4x6) then when I try to enter manual mode again - the program gives an error and stops to work.

5. Sometimes when I chose needed tiles, saved it, I need to/have to rename my video file and I wish the shots were the same as they were, but I can't do it - the new file's name means new job for program. Is there a way to save the same frames in the same tiles for identical files but with different file names? (Some functions like "Save current numbers of frames (or time) in current tiles" and "Restore/Load previously saved numbers of frames (or time) in current tiles")
For example I created my screenlist, and there are frame number 13 of the current video is in the 1st tile, frame number 254 in the second, frame number 588 in the 3rd etc. Then I press that "Save current numbers of frames (or time) in current tiles", load another video, press "Restore/Load previously saved numbers of frames (or time) in current tiles" and then I get the screenlist in which frame number 13 of new video is in the 1st tile, frame number 254 in the second, frame number 588 in the 3rd etc. Something like that.
And I think that using "frames" in "Save current numbers of frames (or time) in current tiles" would be more accurate than using "time".

6. Maybe it is good to make seeker-bar step not 1 second but 1 frame when I press left or right buttons? It's more comfortable to choose exactly needed frame. What is the point in 1 second step? Or make it in the settings to choose between steps for 1 second or 1 frame.