[Feature Request] A dialog to quickly add tags with the keyboard

All about the program
arcadia

16 May 2021, 01:55

I would like to be able to select a few videos, press a keyboard shortcut and start typing in tags to add. I add a lot of tags.

I do realize that Beans do something similar, however Beans take time to create, modified, and then apply.
I would like a quicker way to add tags that requires very little clicking.

I've seen a tag entry method on a few websites that might work well in Videonizer.
You basically just start typing in a tag, you get suggestions (from your existing tags) and then you select the tag you want. If the tag does not exist a new tag is created.
See example.

I would like to see something like this in the future. Thanks.

Additional: Can you make it possible to zoom with the number-row's + and - keys in the viewer,
and not exclusively the + and - keys on the number-pad. I cannot zoom without a number-pad.
Attachments
picture.png
picture.png (50.33 KiB) Viewed 10624 times
calambra

17 May 2021, 12:04

arcadia wrote:
I would like to be able to select a few videos, press a keyboard shortcut and start typing in tags to add. I add a lot of tags.

I do realize that Beans do something similar, however Beans take time to create, modified, and then apply.

I've seen a tag entry method on a few websites that might work well in Videonizer.
You basically just start typing in a tag, you get suggestions (from your existing tags) and then you select the tag you want. If the tag does not exist a new tag is created.
See example.

I would like to see something like this in the future. Thanks.

Additional: Can you make it possible to zoom with the number-row's + and - keys in the viewer,
and not exclusively the + and - keys on the number-pad. I cannot zoom without a number-pad.
+1
admin
Site Admin

18 May 2021, 09:11

Thx for your request.
Need to analyze.
admin
Site Admin

01 Jun 2021, 19:35

arcadia wrote:
Can you make it possible to zoom with the number-row's + and - keys in the viewer,
Implemented in Videonizer 11.2.0.0.
admin
Site Admin

02 Jun 2021, 20:33

arcadia wrote:

See example.
Ok,
Here is the current sequence:
1. Select Items.
2. Press Q (Hotkey to edit Bean of Tags).
3. The cursor is already in the textbox, so you can start typing the name of the Tag and Tags will be filtered out instantly.
4. Stop typing when you able to click on the necessary Tag. Click on it.
5. Click on the "Clear Filters" button next to the textbox to start over with the next Tag.
6. Repeat step 3 untill all necessary Tags are selected. Click OK (or press Enter, or CTRL+S) to close the window.
7. Press Shift+Q to apply the Bean of Tags to selected Items.

Please provide your vision how to improve steps above.
arcadia

06 Jun 2021, 22:00

Removing the mouse clicks is what I think will speed things up.

A new dialog might be a good option to quickly add tags, but It may be possible to do it with the existing Bean dialog. With some tweaks.

1. Add a keyboard shortcut to open up an empty Bean: An empty Bean needs to be opened with the search field cleared and NO tags selected.
This way the user can just press the shortcut key, lets say the 'U' key (Edit: or even Ctrl+Q if 'U' isn't available), and start typing in tags. No need to press clear all tags, or delete the text from the search field.

2. Allow the keyboard to be used for tag selection in the Bean dialog: Right now The TAB key doesn't move around the Bean dialog in a functional way.
The TAB key should move focus down to the tag list, then the arrow keys could be used to highlight a tag and the spacebar could be used to select it.
After selecting a tag with the spacebar the search field should automatically clear and be ready for the next tag to be typed in. More time saved.

3 Add a keyboard shortcut to Apply & Merge the selections from inside the Bean Dialog: It should be possible to merge tags from the Bean Dialog.
After the tags are selected pressing Shift+Enter could close the Bean dialog and merge the current tags with the selected videos.
This way the user doesn't have to merge after the Bean dialog is closed. There could also be a button to Apply & Merge (inside the Bean dialog).

New sequence to add existing tags to multiple videos:
1. Select videos.
2. Press 'U'
3. Start typing a tag
4. Press tab, then space on the highlighted tag
5. Repeat Steps 3-4. Press shift+enter to merge the tags

This takes fewer steps and you can do it with your eyes closed because no mouse clicks required. Hopefully some of this is useful.

*These instructions assume that the tags have already been created. I have not thought up a way to quickly create new tags.
Although pressing TAB a second time in the Bean dialog should move focus down to the "Add a Tag" button.

*I am not sure if the current design of the application makes it possible to move focus down to the tags in the Bean dialog.
If it is impossible my instructions are not as useful :p
admin
Site Admin

15 Jun 2021, 15:47

My vision of the quick selection feature is implemented in Videonizer 11.3.0.0 ;)
arcadia

16 Jun 2021, 21:35

Nice! I like that it works across the application, beans, tags, artists, sites, and when editing a single item.

The only thing I'd still like to see is a way to clear the tags from a Bean with the keyboard. Maybe Ctrl + Shift + Q from the main window.
It might work well with the existing keyboard shortcuts for Purge (Ctrl+Q), Replace (Alt+Q), and Merge (Shift+Q).
admin
Site Admin

16 Jun 2021, 21:50

arcadia wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 21:35
The only thing I'd still like to see is a way to clear the tags from a Bean with the keyboard. Maybe Ctrl + Shift + Q from the main window.
It might work well with the existing keyboard shortcuts for Purge (Ctrl+Q), Replace (Alt+Q), and Merge (Shift+Q).
I would vote for Ctrl + Alt + Q, because Shift is for the "Merge".
That is why the clearing should not include Shift from my point of view.
But Ctrl + Shift + Q is handier to press...
arcadia

17 Jun 2021, 02:50

Ctrl + Alt + Q is good. It's just as easy to push.