problem due to Win10 and NAS storage drives

All about the program
dweiss

10 Jul 2023, 15:43

I have a Synology NAS with a few HDD's that are mapped to my Win10 OS. However, Win10 can be very flaky when it comes to network storage and I've had it lose connection or forget the drives on multiple occasions and I've had to reconfigure and re-map the drives. Every time this happens Videonizer loses the files on those drives (even though I always re-map with the exact same drive letters) and I am forced to edit the scan folders, remove the drive letters, then do a database cleanup, and then add the drive letter again and do a scan to add the files. This is obviously quite frustrating as any information or edits I have done is lost and needs to be re-entered.

I always re-map the network drives with the exact same drive letters so I am a bit confused why Videonizer can't locate the files. I just don't understand why Videonizer can't find the files even though the file path remains the same. For example, let's say I have the movie Black Widow at R://Movies/MCU/. When win10 loses the drive and I have to remap it I always assign it "R" again so the file path to Black Widow should remain the same, but Videonizer can't find the files no matter how many times I do a database scan. I guess another option instead of doing a database cleanup would be to go through every affected file and edit the file path but that would be time consuming for a large database. Is there anything that can be done for this issue? Thanks!

I should mention I am on the latest version of 19.1.0.0 and Win10 22H2.
dweiss

10 Jul 2023, 21:26

So I've been doing a little bit of testing since posting the previous message and I think I have narrowed it down and it looks like Videonizer is causing the OS to disconnect the network mapped drives. To test I removed the 3 drives from Videonizer's scan folder options, then restarted the pc. I then remapped the drives, did over half a dozen system restarts and had no issues, the drives remained connected and were populated in explorer. Then I opened Videonizer and added all 3 drives, scanned for files, saved and then closed the program. I immediately did a system restart and the three drives were missing and not populated in Win10. I will continue to test some things like starting a new database as I am wondering if the current one is somehow corrupted and causing this issue.

edit - I started a new database, added only one of the network drives that has been disappearing, scanned for files, then saved and closed the program. Immediately did a system restart and the drive is missing from windows again. So I remapped the drive again, did three system restarts and the drive showed up everytime. Then I started Videonizer with the new DB and the single network drive, all files were showing error. So I removed the drive from the scan list, did a database cleanup and then added the drive again. Scanned and added the files, closed the program and did another restart. Once again the drive is not listed in windows explorer so it really seems like the OS is losing the network drive whenever Videonizer does a scan on it.
jstanton

14 Jul 2023, 20:59

I have multiple NAS drives mapped to my Windows 10 PC and have never run into the issue you described. One difference is that I have a batch file in startup set to map the drives for me every time I reboot. You may want to look at that as an alternative. Also, does the Event Viewer give you any indication of an issue?

For the batch file you can do something like the following to map the drives:

net use m: \\nasservername\e-drive /user:UserName P@ssw0rd
net use n: \\nasservername\f-drive /user:UserName P@ssw0rd
bastage

15 Jul 2023, 08:57

Not sure what the OPs problem is since I have drives mapped all over the place and Videonizer has always been fine with them, but as a side note you can also use the flag /persistent:yes in the "net use" command to have it set back up automatically after a reboot. (Without the need for additional startup scripts.)
dweiss

15 Jul 2023, 20:21

In the "add a scan folder" option menu all of my mapped network drives have a yellow exclamation warning beside them. I'm not sure why though, they all work perfectly fine in windows explorer. And I also have them setup and working fine for streaming in plex.

dweiss

15 Jul 2023, 21:22

I may have figured it out. Doing some testing now but will reply again when I know more.