Update thumbnails

All about the program
VictorZ

19 May 2021, 23:30

I searched but was not able to find something relevant. I know that the program can update a folder of thumbnails based on added content in the source folder. If a thumbnail for a video already exists, it is skipped ... i.e., no new thumbnail is created. I understand that content isn't checked, but that's okay.

Is there also a way to have the program remove / delete or at least flag thumbnails for videos that are NOT in the source folder? In other words, I'd like to have the ability to add new thumbs for new videos, but also to remove dead thumbs for videos that have been deleted, relocated from the source folder, etc..

Kudos on a terrific program and many thanks for you help and prompt reply!

VictorZ
admin
Site Admin

20 May 2021, 08:22

Have you tried to use the "DB Tools" -> "Clean up current DB"?
That is the main solution for the "remove dead thumbs for videos that have been deleted, relocated from the source folder, etc..".
VictorZ

20 May 2021, 18:58

Thanks for the reply. After searching for DB Tools, I found one other post in the VTM portion of this forum that mentions it however based on surrounding content, I was able to figure out that DB Tools is part of Videonizer, not VTM. If there is something analogous to DB Tools in VTM, I'm at a loss to figure out where it is and how to use it / do this ??? I was hoping there was a way to have VTM do this as part of feeding a folder of videos to it in order to create thumbs. I don't need a database of videos and all the search features and other functions in Videonizer, I'm just trying to keep the contents of thumbnail folder(s) synchronized with the contents of media folder(s).

As noted in my prev post, I know that VTM can already check to see if it should "skip" a video for which a thumb already exists. And BTW, I understand that VTM is only checking filenames, not the content, but that's completely acceptable. So, given that a form of checking is already going on is there a way to have it also delete a thumb if there is NO video matching the name of a given thumb? Seems simple enough.

If I add a video to an existing media folder and run VTM to re-process that folder, it scans to locate new files and creates a thumbnail in the output folder. Easy-peasy and quite straight-forward. Found a video with no matching thumbnail in the output folder? Make a new thumbnail.

What I'd like to see in addition to the above behavior is the following: If the check determines that there is a thumb in the output folder but no corresponding video in the source, then it would be nice if VTM were able to remove the "dead" thumb. This would be sufficient to keep things synchronized. If I delete a video, the matching thumb disappears. If I change the name of a video, then a "new" thumb is generated since there is no match, but if the "old" thumb is deleted, things remain in synch. In other words, duplicate or "dead" thumbs that correspond to non-existent videos are avoided.

Ideally, this would be "selectable" in the same way that there is a checkbox to choose where or not to "Skip video file if ALL required pictures EXIST..." Generally, I would think removing the dead thumbs should be the default, but I can envision situations where it would be desirable to keep the dead ones.

I hope I'm being clear as to what I'm asking ... and thanks again.

VictorZ
admin
Site Admin

21 May 2021, 09:01

My fault, I thought you were asking about the Videonizer ;)
Now it is clear. Thx for providing more details.

Most likely I will implement your request as an option, need to check and analyze.
VictorZ

21 May 2021, 18:52

No worries, I'm glad that I was able to communicate the issue clearly to you and I'm delighted at the prospect of having this feature implemented in the future. Thank you very much for your help and support for making this very useful software ever more so.

Warm regards,
VictorZ
admin
Site Admin

26 May 2021, 22:05

Ok,
Files in the "Output folder" will be checked when you start the jobs and the new "Delete broken screenlists in the Output folder" setting in ON.
List of files to check is based on the existing VTM settings (it means no additional settings here),
If VTX is enabled, then *.vtx will be checked.
If Classic is enabled, then *.jpg, *.jpeg, *.bmp, *.png, *.tiff will be cheched.
If Animation is enabled then *.mp4, *.webm, *.webp, *.ogv will be checked.
VictorZ

26 May 2021, 22:32

Wow, fantastic!! That was mighty speedy service on this feature request!! Thank you very much. I look forward to trying it out as soon as the new version is available to download.
admin
Site Admin

30 May 2021, 22:01

Please check VTM 15.3.0.0.
VictorZ

31 May 2021, 09:25

Only had time for a quick check to try out 15.3.0.0 and it behaves exactly as you described. This is great !! Icing on the already excellent VTM cake. Kudos!

I'll have a chance to throw a lot more files at it soon and will let you know if there are any issues but my first impression is fantastic.

VZ
DimsumDynamite

05 Jun 2021, 00:01

Shouldn't the option be labelled "Delete ORPHAN screenlists in the Output folder" instead of "Delete broken screenlists in the Output folder" and I mention this because, we are referring to a thumbnail sheet in a folder where the corresponding video file no longer exists. Technically the screenlist isn't actually "broken" - even though the corresponding video file is not with it, the screenlist will still open and display the thumbnails of the video. So this in itself means it is not actually broken. The file works. Orphan is a better choice of word because much like in real life - a child without a parent, the screenlist is no longer with the video file that it originally was created from.

The only reason I am even bringing this up was because when i saw the option, I had to read it several times to try and figure out what it meant. Since VTM doesn't actually check the files for content or corruption, how is it assessing that a file is "broken"? This is why i feel a name change is more clearer as to what the option does.