Eliminate need to restart by making timeout universal

All about the program
dlight69

07 Aug 2022, 12:41

When scanning large folders (say, 10-20,000 movies) the program often stops and I need to restart from recovery point. Presumably the program stops because of some codec issue and just gets in a loop. Can the "timeout" feature be escalated so that regardless of what loops or problems the program hits, the problematic file will just timeout anyway , rather than looping endlessly and needing to be halted in task manager? Also I think that when the program restarts after a failure, it seems to start using the default sequence of files (oldest first?) rather then classical view, which means that even if I remove, say the first 2000 entries from the file list which were completed before the programme looped, these are not the same 2000 entries which were actually completed when the original run started using classical view (name sequence). End result is that I have to rescan the entire folder, which then eventually hits the same problematic file which caused the loop in the first place, and so it goes on and on and I never get to scan the whole folder. Could you also explain why some types of movies (often FLVs, but others too like avi, mpg, mov) often fail - what can I do to improve acceptability to VTM?
admin
Site Admin

25 Aug 2022, 10:41

Hello,

1) What engines do you use?
2) Have you tried to compare Regular and Magic starts?
dlight69

04 Sep 2022, 16:47

HI, I use the ultimate engine as primary and crystal as secondary. Now that I've upgraded to "magic" multi-core processing, performance is much improved and I don't think I've encountered any need to restart since, so thanks for that massive improvement! The only issue I still have is that "add folders" can take several minutes to come up with a list of folders from my various networked drives - 7-10 minutes is not unusual, even though all drives and folders are all mounted and accessible in MS explorer. Any suggestions how to optimise this and reduce wait times between adding folders to scan? Thanks
bastage

05 Sep 2022, 09:03

Seems like the simplest would be to create a new folder for "things from this point", and then add it to the search list while removing the old search from the list.

My general rule of thumb is create a new folder every few thousand files, and then just remove the old ones that don't get any new files in them from the search list. (Not having them in your search list doesn't mean they come out of your library, it just means less stuff to "search".)