Request: Relative file paths in VTX

All about the program
SpinningBob

06 Jun 2014, 16:20

Hi

All .vtx files currently point to the Video with a absolute path, even of they're in the same folder, for example: D:\Videos\myvideo.vtx points to "D:\Videos\myvideo.avi".

If I now move both the .vtx and .avi files into a subfolder, for example D:\Videos\subfolder, the vtx still points to the original D:\Videos\myvideo.avi, which is not there anymore.

This could be solved with a relative path:
D:\Videos\myvideo.vtx points to "myvideo.avi". If I move both files, the vtx will still find the myvideo.avi, because it's in the same folder as the .vtx.
Sunspot

06 Jun 2014, 16:20

Missing that feature too. I moved all of my files and now I have to generate all thumbnails again to fix the paths.
admin
Site Admin

06 Jun 2014, 16:31

Hi.
Done in VTM version 6.
Artek

23 May 2015, 17:33

Maybe I'm missing something but in version 6.5 this feature still does not work.

Whenever I move the movie and VTX files to another directory I have to re-generate all thumbnails to fix the paths.
admin
Site Admin

23 May 2015, 18:23

Artek wrote:Maybe I'm missing something but in version 6.5 this feature still does not work.

Whenever I move the movie and VTX files to another directory I have to re-generate all thumbnails to fix the paths.
I have checked the latest version at the moment - 7.0.0.0 and everything works fine.
Please note, relative paths works only when VTX file and its video file are placed in the same folder.

Could you pleae provide additional info for possible issue?
Artek

31 May 2015, 14:59

I was not able use the relative paths in VTX so I decided to try VTM version 7 (free) on two different computers to check if it makes any difference. It did not.
Basically what I was doing was the following:

1. Create new folder C:\1
2. Copy video.avi to this new folder
3. Run VTM and create VTX file in this directory
4. Double click on VTX file to run it
5. Right click on VTX file, select "Start video" from the context menu and than play using VLC

So far OK

Now rename the folder from C:\1 to C:\2, the video.avi and VTX files still in that folder.

6. Double click on VTX file to run it
7. Right click on VTX file, there is no "Start video" in the context menu so I can not play the video from VTX file (unless I use "Locate video" from the menu)

That is not good
However, then I rename the folder back from C:\2 to C:\1

8. Double click on VTX file to run it
9. Right click on VTX file, select "Start video" from the context menu and than play using VLC

So it works again. That means the relative file in VTX is not working.

Well, I thought there was something wrong with my computer so I tried different computer. Unfortunately the results were identical.
After reading different topic in this forum which indicated version 6.4.0.4 may work as advertised I have decided to do some testing with different versions. This is what I found, also selecting different ENGINES in VTM:

version 6.4.0.4 Engine 2 - IT WORKS, I can play my video from VTX file after I rename it, or move it NO PROBLEM :):):)
version 6.4.0.4 Engine 1 - VTM crashes every single time as soon as it start processing the video - no output at all
version 6.4.0.4 Engine Crystal - VTM processes the video no problem, but wait, the resulting VTX is showing thumnails from A DIFFERENT VIDEO! (processed previously)

version 6.5 Engine 2 - VTM processes the video, however after I rename the folder with the video I can not play the video from VTX (missing "Start video" in the context menu)
version 6.5 Engine 1 - VTM crashes every single time as soon as it start processing the video - no output at all
version 6.4.0.4 Engine Crystal - VTM processes the video no problem, but wait, the resulting VTX is showing thumnails from A DIFFERENT VIDEO! (processed previously)

version 7.0 behaves exactly the same as version 6.5

Then I went ever further: I created VTX with version 7.0, uninstalled 7.0, installed 6.4.0.4 and play VTX with this version - worked fine.
When I created VTX with version 6.4.0.4 it worked OK, but when I uninstalled 6.4.0.4, installed version 7.0 than the VTX file did not work after renaming the folder.

So I came to conclusion that the VIEWER worked correctly in regards to relative file paths in VTX in version 6.4.0.4 but not in 7.0. IT WORKED OK.
So now I use viewer from version 6.4.0.4 with VTM version 7.0 and Engine 2 and I can move or rename folder with my videos just fine.
admin
Site Admin

31 May 2015, 15:27

Thank you for such a detailed post.
I will dig into the problem.
BTW, try to press F1 hotkey in viewer when VTX is in "folder 2".
It opens the video.
admin
Site Admin

19 Jun 2015, 23:00

Fixed in VTM version 7.1.0.0